How to Adopt a Pet from the Clermont County Animal Shelter
- Come to the shelter to meet our adoptable dogs and cats.
- Work with an Adoption Counselor to find the right pet for your household and lifestyle.
- Complete an adoption application at the shelter.
- Upon approval, pay the adoption fee. If you’re a Clermont County resident, you’ll also be required to purchase a state of Ohio dog license at the shelter.
- Take your new furry friend home! Collars and leashes are available for sale at the shelter for your new dog. A crate can be rented for a $25 deposit. A cardboard carrier can be purchased for $5 for your new cat.
- Follow these suggestions for introducing your new cat or dog.
Frequently Asked Adoption Questions
For instructions on how to adopt, our adoption fees and what’s included with post-adoption instructions and requirements, see How to Adopt a Pet.
After approval to adopt, you’ll need to bring your current dog(s) to the shelter to meet the dog you’re planning to adopt to ensure a good match for your family. For your convenience we’ll work with you to hold the animal until you return to the shelter later that day.
Our standard adoption fees are as follows:
- Adults (6 months and older) – $95
- Puppies (5 months and younger) – $200
- Dogs with 3 or More Application – $200
- Adults (6 months and older) – $25
- Kittens (5 months and younger) – $60 (fee waived when adopting a 2nd kitten)
See the FAQ for included services.
The following services are included with the adoption fee of a canine or feline from the Clermont County Animal Shelter.
|Age Appropriate Bordatella, Distemper, Parvo & Rabies (over 3 months)|
Heartworm Test (over 6 months) & De-Worming
|Age Appropriate FVRCP & Rabies (over 3 lbs)|
|Preventative Care||Heartworm, Flea & Tick||Flea & Tick|
Yes. We try our best to ensure a good adoption match but recognize it isn’t always a good fit. A full refund of the adoption fee will be given if the animal is returned within 72 hours of adoption. The adoption fee for an animal returned within 30 days can be applied to the adoption of a different animal, with an approved application. We always welcome our animals back, and in fact require adopters to return animals to the shelter if they’re unable to keep them.